Friday, August 19, 2011

10 Years = New Orleans

Gordon & I just celebrated our 10 year Anniversary in New Orleans!!! Here are some pictures from our fab trip!!

This picture was our last night having dinner at "Olivers" - very good food & the waitress kept calling Gordon "babydoll" LOL!

Our first night in NO! We were trying to find a place to eat & walked down Bourbon Street aka porno street! We were a bit surprised! But it was very lively. Gordon paid a tricky bum $9 to polish his shoes, we saw a cool street band, & had dinner at La Bayou. The best burger we've EVER had! The decor had stuffed alligators all over & it was fun to sit & watch the night life on Bourbon.

My favorite part of the trip was touring this beautiful sugar plantation. It's called Oak Alley Plantation & prob the most gorgeous place I have ever seen. We spent about 4 hours just touring the grounds & house. We had lunch at the resturant there (the best meal I have ever had) & spent a little time at the gift shop. I seriously teared up a few times at the beauty of this place.

Gordon by one of the huge oak trees. The trees are 300 years old. The Mississippi River is right across the street.

Just takes my breath away! The pictures don't do it justice.

We found out that a Mint Julip is an alcoholic beverage so we opted for lemonade even though it's very southern to drink a MJ on the porch :0)

My hottie drinking his lemonade by this sweet old car.

I had never seen a real Piggly Wiggly - G had never even heard of it...?

After we returned from the Plantation we went for a walk down by the river & decided to hop on a steamboat for a dinner jazz cruise. The boat is one of the last that still runs. The food was OK but it was awesome to be on the water & view NO from the Mississippi River. The jazz band was really great!

This rainbow was right in front of us on the boat.

NO skyline behind us as we are coming back to shore. Once we got back to our beautiful French hotel "La Pavillion" we took a swim on the roof top pool! It was really fun - I SO outswimmed & flipped Gordon!!

This doesn't even look real but it totally is!! The third day we went on a swamp cruise through the bayou.

It was so awesome!! It was Gordon's favorite part of the trip. We saw birds, racoons, and our favorite, alligators! The guides were really funny & informative. Our guide was called "Mr. June" & he kept making fun of another guide, calling him "Chewy".

This 11 foot alligator was right next to our little boat. We saw about 5 smaller alligators throughout the cruise but "Cindy" was the coolest by far.


Gordon holding a baby alligator - I think it's funny that they're both smiling!

Real live bayou houses!


After we got back from the swamp we shopped around for a while, had lunch (we tried alligator sausage (gross) & seafood gumbo (gross) ) & I got a foot massage. Had a little rest at the hotel & then went back out for dinner (Oliver's) & beignets (French doughnuts) at this little French place down by the river. We had such a blast! Behind me you may noticed that everyone down below is dressed in red. It was "red dress" day in NO - everyone was wearing red - women & MEN. I think it's just an excuse to party but it was funny to see everyone dressed up!

A few notes I want to remember: out hotel was beautiful & very old & French. They served hot chocolate & PB&J sandwhiches every night in the lobby at 10. It's a little tradition of the hotel & G loved it! Esp. the hot chocolate with cream & marshmallows. We refer to the hotel as the haunted mansion - the architecture & paintings reminded us of the Disney ride. It was very nice & well located. Most every where we ate had linen tablecloths & fresh flowers on the table. I thought it very charming. The buildings & architecture is prob the most beautiful I have ever seen - very much what I thought NO would look like. We had a crazy fast shuttle driver at the airport. Gordon's new nickname is "whitey tighty". Gordon really wanted to get an alligator head... as cool as it was I thought it would be a weird house decoration... 

Also a huge THANK YOU to my mom, sister, & Kays for watching the girls while we were gone!

2 comments:

Camille said...

sooooooooo cool! I love all the pics. The house and swamp look unreal. Glad you guys had such a fun trip!!

Camille said...

I can't believe G never heard of piggly wiggley!